Below are my solutions to a range of past UNC-Chapel Hill physics qualifying exam problems. This is intended as a resource for other UNC-Chapel Hill physics graduate students. Be warned that not all solutions are correct! If you find something wrong, let me know and I'll make a note of it. Also, I have no solutions to the astro problems, but all other missing solutions are noted.
- SM-2: off by 3/5
- QMI-4: (c) is formally wrong: I should have transformed to the j,m (total angular momentum) basis. Result is the same by coincidence.
- EMI-5: not sure if I have (c) right
- CM-4: not sure about (d)
- EMI-4: missing
- QMII-3: numerical error (should be about -2.14 MeV) but otherwise correct.
- CM-4: not sure about interpretation in (b)
- SM-5: not sure if my approach is remotely correct
- QMI-1: sign error in two of the eigenvalues
- SM-3: my result differs by a factor of 2 in one term
- QMI-2: not sure if correct
- QMI-5: not sure if vibrational levels are supposed to come in
- QMII-5: missing
- EMII missing (all)